Definitely yes. It is difficult to get all the nutrients from the foods alone even if your diet includes a wide range of food like meat, dairy products, fruits, vegetables and grains.
It is recommended to take these prenatal vitamins and minerals even before you conceive. Think of it as an insurance policy for getting right amount of nutrients during pregnancy.
Taking prenatal vitamin is even more crucial for women with dietary restrictions, health issues, or pregnancy complications. Women who:
- Have an eating disorder
- Have some chronic diseases
- Are having twins or higher multiples
- Vegetarians or vegans
- Have had gastric bypass surgery
- Lactose intolerant or have other food intolerances
- Smoke or consume alcohol
- With blood disorders
should take prenatal vitamins religiously.
What can I get from prenatal supplement that I cannot get from food?
Two very important nutrients – folic acid and iron – are almost always included in prenatal vitamins because most pregnant women do not get enough of them from food alone.
- Getting adequate amount of B vitamin in the month before you conceive and during early pregnancy can reduce the baby’s risk of having neural tube defects, such as spina bifida and anencephaly, by up to 70 percent. Folic acid also reduces the risk of other birth defects, like cleft palate, cleft lip and heart defects. Folic acid may also lower the risk of preeclampsia.
- Body absorbs the synthetic version of folic acid better than the natural one found in food, Therefore, even if you are having folic acid rich diet, it is strongly recommended to take a supplement.
- Mostly pregnant women do not get enough of this mineral from their diet alone. Iron-deficiency can lead to anemia. Avoiding iron-deficiency anemia can reduce your risk of preterm delivery, low birth weight, and infant mortality.
Pregnancy is a very crucial phase of a woman’s life. Therefore, it gets even more important for you to take care of your diet right from the time you start planning for a baby.
To get more such pregnancy related information, download Ango Health app today.