Why should I do Aerobic exercises while I’m pregnant?
Aerobics is overall a great workout for your body. Doing low-impact aerobic exercises regularly will:
- Work out your heart and lungs, and strengthen them.
- Improve your muscle tone.
- Improve your sleep quality.
- Relieve aches and pains.
It also helps you relax and stay positive. Thus it helps you cope with the demands of pregnancy.
Are Aerobics safe during pregnancy?
Low-impact aerobics are great for your body and are generally safe during pregnancy. They are low-impact in the sense that they focus on maintaining your current level of fitness, not improving it. They are recommended because when you’re pregnant, your aim should be to maintain your fitness. Improving your fitness can come after your baby is born.
Low-impact aerobics don’t involve jumps, leaps, high kicks. The key is to have one foot touching the ground at all times. This ensures you don’t stress your joints. It also protects your pelvic floor.
Can I do Aerobic exercises at home?
You can. However it’s recommended you join an aerobics class. This has several benefits:
- Your instructor will suggest tailor-made exercises according to your needs. These will help ensure you stay fit.
- You’ll enjoy the company of other pregnant women.
- You’ll get to make new friends and share your stories with them.
- Your company will help you stay motivated to do exercises.
- If you are used to doing higher impact aerobics (like Zumba, dance) your instructor will help you made modifications to suit your pregnancy.
Just make sure you tell your doctor you’re doing aerobics. Also tell your instructor your week of pregnancy. This will help them suggest you the best exercises according to your needs.
You can also ask your instructor if they conduct classes at your home. This will help you stay fit in the comfort of your home. Instructors usually charge extra for it, but it can be worth it.
If you’ve never done aerobics before, exercises like walking, swimming, yoga might be better options for you. Do take your doctor’s advice on what works best for you.
Tips for doing aerobic exercises during pregnancy
- Warm-up before exercising.
- Wear comfortable and thin clothes while exercising. Thin clothes let your skin breathe and also avoid overheating.
- Keeping yourself hydrated is important. Keep a water bottle with you and drink before, during, and after exercising.
- Listen to your body. Take breaks so you don’t get too tired. Ensure you don’t run out of breath. Stop when your body tells you to. Remember – you don’t have to push yourself too hard. The aim of exercising during pregnancy is to maintain fitness.
- In your 3rd trimester, do pelvic floor exercises before and during your class.
- If you have any problems, tell your instructor. Also stay in touch with your doctor.