Walking during pregnancy works wonders for you, and greatly benefits your overall physical and mental health. You can read more about the benefits of walking during pregnancy here.
If you have not been in the habit of walking before you got pregnant, fear not. Our beginner’s pregnancy walking regime will help you. This simple three step walking regime has been specially developed for each of the three trimesters of pregnancy. As a precaution, it is always recommended to take your doctor’s opinion before following any fitness plan.
Walking during first trimester (till week 13)
- Begin with 15-20 minutes of walk on alternate days
- As you start getting comfortable with walking, gradually increase the activity to 4 days a week, while spending 20-25 minutes for each walk
- Towards the end of the first trimester, your walk should be for 10-20 minutes and 5 days a week
Walking during second trimester (week 14 to week 27)
- It’s a good idea to begin with 10 minutes of walk every day for 4-5 days in a week
- When you feel you are ready, extend your walk to 5-6 days, and walk 15-30 minutes on alternate walks
- Towards the end of the second trimester, you should be walking for 15-30 minutes and 4-6 days in a week
Walking during third trimester (week 28 to week 40)
- Begin with 10 minutes of walk for 4-6 days in a week
- Gradually increase the number of minutes you walk, keeping in mind that it’s okay to slow down if your growing belly doesn’t allow you to walk with ease
- Towards the end of the third trimester, you should be walking for 15-30 mintues and 5-6 days in a week
Apart from our list of dos and don’t for walking during pregnancy, keep in mind that as a general rule of thumb, you should not be running out of breath or panting while performing any exercise during pregnancy. If any exercise leaves you gasping for breath, you should slow down and stop for sometime till you catch your breath. The purpose of any exercise is to keep yourself fit without causing any harm.