A common query from pregnant women is – what is the correct way of lifting objects when I’m pregnant? We are going to answer that question for you.
Follow these tips to make sure you are lifting objects correctly
- The correct way to lift objects is to stand with legs apart and feet firmly on the ground. You should try and tighten the muscles of your stomach and lift the objects using your leg muscles. Slowly and steadily straighten your knees. Do not give any jerk to your body. Stand with your back completely straight and upright. Do not twist.
- To hold an object that you have picked up, hold it close to your body. Hold it so that your arms are bent. Keep the stomach muscles tight.
- If you have to move holding the object, move slowly. Take small and gradual steps.
- To keep the object on ground, keep the same points in mind. Keep your feet wide apart, tighten your stomach muscles, bend slowly using your hips and knees.
- Make sure you have a firm footing before lifting any object. This ensures stability and balance, which is very important.
- If you have to lift an object which is at a level lower than your waist level, bend at your hips and knees. Make sure you keep your back straight. Do not bend at your waist with your knees straight.
- Do ask for help (from anyone who is around you) if the object is heavy. You should avoid lifting heavy objects all by yourself.
- If you are going to lift an object from a table, slide the object to the edge of the table so that it is near you. Bend your knees so that you are close to it. Use your legs to lift it and come to a standing position, with your back completely upright.
- If you have to lift an overhead object, move as close to it as possible. Make sure you have an idea of how heavy the object is. Always use both hands to lift it.