Pregnancy is a period when a mother’s body is going through different metabolic, physical and chemical changes. One of them is the increase of the blood supply to the skin due to which it is very common to experience the sensation of itching. There are also other reasons for this, one of them being the stretched abdomen region of the skin.
Reasons behind itching during pregnancy:
- Although this is very common during the time of pregnancy. As the body needs continuous supply of blood for both the mother and the baby due to which the mother often gets mild sensation of itching. But keep in mind severe itching may result in condition like obstetric cholestasis (OC).Therefore, it is always advisable to take necessary precautions. Talking about OC, it is very rare in pregnant women and effect less than 1% of the mass in total. But it can be very serious condition if not monitored. It mostly occurs during the third trimester of pregnancy but the good news is it generally wanes within a week of pregnancy.
- Talking about other factors that may cause itchiness is Prurigo. It generally stays until post-delivery. According to many doctors it happens mostly because of the change in the immune system and its functioning, but the silver lining here is that it poses no risk or harm to your baby.
Here are some steps that you can take to alleviate your symptoms:
- Apply a moisturizer to the areas on your skin where you have constant itching.
- Avoid sticky clothes and wear loose clothes during the time of pregnancy as it lessens the chances of irritation on the skin. Also clothes made of natural fiber is always advisable during pregnancy.
- If you are suffering from OC it is not recommended to use creams having Antihistamines or corticosteroid.
Since during pregnancy everything is heightened it is always advisable to stay calm as your mood regulates lot of the chemical changes going inside you.
To get more such pregnancy related information, download Ango Health app today.